Friday, July 17, 2009

Off Leash Dogs are Like Graffiti

Walking the dog on the Eastern Prom trail, I've noticed that spray-painted graffiti tags have started to creep out of the designated areas by the water treatment plant, so it now appears on the asphalt, on signs and benches, on the way to the Old Port. The graffiti doesn't creep, of course; creeps put the tags there, to mark a territory as theirs. It's entry-level gang activity, is what it is.

It's occurred to me that disobeying leash laws is the entry-level white collar crime. I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the off leashers move up from there to tax fraud and embezzling. These are victimless crimes that one engages in because everyone does it, because no one will notice, and because the rules are obviously for the stupid people -- never for oneself.

There's a white haired gent who walks his black poodle out of the Portland House over to the Prom, leashless every step of the way. I've got a picture of him on my phone which I'll post. He's probably a tax cheat and an embezzler, too.

I can't keep up with posting pictures, though -- every time I go out, I see some other dumb cluck, tagging the commons with their behavior. It's about time to open this blog up and take submissions from people out there. I'll post pictures of off-leash dog walkers and graffiti artists alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment